Saturday, May 31, 2014

Why do bad things happen to good people?

I have been blessed to grow up surrounded by amazing women. My sisters inspire me each and every day to accept the things that I have been chosen to endure in this life. Although they have faced their share of hardships and difficulties, they press forward with trust in the Lord. 









The question I am asked most often as a missionary is: 


Why does God allow bad things to happen to good people? 

I have spent hours searching for the answer! On my iPad I have a section in my study journal labeled "Bad things good people"-- it has obviously been a source of distress to my soul! Thankfully, when we put in our effort God will help us understand things with a sliver of his perspective. I hope that my thoughts will help you on your quest to understand the purpose of your trials. A quest that truly takes a brave warrior!

1. In "Preach my Gospel"this particular question is termed a question of the soul. It leads to a story in Alma 14 about two missionaries named Alma and Amulek who are preaching the gospel to the people  in the land of Ammonihah. It is a difficult mission call; the people are hard hearted and unyielding to the word of God. The missionaries get thrown into prison and are forced to watch their converts burned by the wicked people. Amulek cries out in distress to Alma asking him why the righteous have to suffer. He questions, why can't they use the power of God to release them from the flames? In verse 11 we read: 
"But Alma said unto him: The Spirit constraineth me that I must not stretch forth mine hand; for behold the Lord receiveth them up unto himself, in glory; and he doth suffer that they may do this thing, or that the people may do this thing unto them, according to the hardness of their hearts, that the judgments which he shall exercise upon them in his wrath may be just; and the blood of the innocent shall stand as a witness against them, yea, and cry mightily against them at the last day."

Jeffery R Holland says Some blessings come soon, some come late, and some don't come until heaven; but for those who embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ, they come.
We might not understand the pain behind world wars and torn apart homes and we probably never will. One thing we can rely on is the justice and mercy of God. He knows our hearts and our rewards rely in Heaven. All things will be returned to us ten fold . The atonement of Jesus Christ ensures that all things will be made right in the end.

2. In my most challenging times I've turned to 2 Corinthians 12:9-10


"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong." 

The purpose of this life is to prepare to meet God. In the scriptures our time on earth is coined as the "refiners fire." Without the perfecting cleansing effect of our trials we will not learn all the important things we have been sent here to learn. When we are going through a trial it means that God trusts us enough to try us. After the trial of our faith comes the blessings. We become spiritually prepared for what he has in store for us. We wouldn't deserve it without first being tried! 

It is difficult to keep these perspectives in times of trial. I know that as we cling to the gospel and continue to put one foot in front of the other, we will find peace and rest. Even through the hardest times we can know that Heavenly Father is there for us.

* Please comment below and share what has helped you understand the purpose of your trials.* 

"An High Priest of Good Things to Come"


1 comment: