Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Yelli's conversion story



Yelli was raised in a Muslim family on the Ivory Coast in Africa. “I didn't start praying until I had a big exam to pass so my stepmother encouraged me to start praying.” She has found strength in developing a relationship with God over the years. Although her family practiced Islam, she had many Christian friends and attended a Catholic Elementary School where she would recite “Virgin Mary Prayer” and “Our Father in Heaven.” Somehow through the mixed religions and differing structure she learned that prayer truly is communication between father and child. “I use to cry and talk to Heavenly Father... God has somehow been the only person who listens to me.  I didn't have anyone to talk to, or who would listen.”

Years after moving to Virginia, Yelli visited the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  “I went to the LDS church in August 2013 by my friend Benedicta who invited me there. I didn't really think about anything when the Sister missionaries proposed to come to my house. I thought it was an opportunity to talk to new people about the trial I was going through at that time.” Shortly after Yelli began learning about the gospel, I was transferred into the ward. It was my first area and the second day on my mission I had the opportunity to teach Yelli about the Plan of Salvation. As we taught she accepted everything she learned as truth.  “Basically I was familiar with all the things they thought me about Christianity except the Book of Mormon, but it was similar so I accepted to read and learn more about the Book of Mormon. At the time I was reading the given chapters, everything felt sooooooo rights and I could see myself in some of the stories of Nephi, or Mosiah, or Helaman and so on.” -

“When Sister Kraemer asked if I would like to get baptized on Sept 14 all these questions started popping up in my head, like how was I going to tell my adoptive parents? Will they even understand my decision?... But I felt happy every time I thought becoming a Christian, a member of the Latter Days church of Jesus Christ! Especially when I read Mosiah 18, I was filled with a sudden joy at verse 11.... “And now when the people had heard these words, they clapped for joy, and exclaimed: this is the desire of our hearts.”  There was so many things going on but the more the date approached the more I wanted to get Baptized!”


I know that God lives and that he loves all of his children. He is aware of our individual circumstances. I learned from Yelli to never turn my back on God. Bad things happen to good people but he is our support and our strength. As we remain faithful to him he will strengthen us to “bear up our burdens with ease (Mosiah 24)” I know that Yelli was prepared to receive the gospel through the things that she experienced. She brings so much to her ward in Virginia because of her optimism and enthusiasm for the gospel. She has a diverse background and can help people that can’t be reached in any other way. The church is true!




1 comment: