Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Stand Ye in Holy Places


“Sometimes being strong can be a very lonely thing.”  As latter day saints our beliefs are criticized and critiqued on every hand. We were called to be a “peculiar people” in the Latter-days. The standards we defend and uphold are contrary to the ways of the world.
^ Click link for more detail on the standards we live by


We believe in being
honest, chaste, benevolent, virtuous & in doing good to all men;
indeed we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul---
We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things
&  we hope to be able to endure all things.
If there is anything
virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy,
we seek after these things.

Alex is a graduating senior from Northern Virginia.  She says "the hardest thing about being an lds woman today is all of the criticism I feel like I receive from people just because I'm different. it's hard to know that so many people think that I believe in nonsense and that I'm devoting my life to something that's not real or true when I know that what I'm doing is right."
When we do stand strong in our beliefs we will face opposition. In Acts chapter 5 we learn of the apostles being persecuted for preaching the gospel they say in verses 41-42:
"And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name. And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ."

Where did they receive the strength to rejoice in their persecution and continue to press forward in faith? Alex says her strength comes from knowing who she is. "Knowing how much my Heavenly Father loves me gives me enough strength to stand up for what I believe in.  Sometimes when I'm having doubts I just think about the blessings that I will receive when I do what is right; eternal life, being with my family again, and happiness."

I know that what we have is worth fighting for. Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father did appear to Joseph Smith. The priesthood authority to preform miracles is active on the earth once again! Temples make sacred ordinances such as the sealing of families possible. We have so much to fight for. Never forget what is truly important; "Let us run with patience the race that is set before us." Hebrews 12:1


No comments:

Post a Comment