Thursday, July 3, 2014

All Must Go

Stores closing down frequently post the sign "All must go" promising reduced prices on merchandise. Their object is to sell the greatest amount of items in the shortest amount of time. 

When I set a goal I feel like I need to accomplish it right away! For example I want to be a more patient friend. When I set my goal I leave no room for mistakes-- the first time I lose my patience or react I give up! I feel like a complete failure unable to reach my goals.  I've painfully come to realize I cannot and should not expect myself to be perfect. If You set a goal to lose 20 lbs and don't get there after one day of exercising do you throw in the towel? No! That's ridiculous! So is thinking you can be a better daughter/friend/student/quilter/runner/anything you can think of all at once.

Just as the store going out of business runs itself out of products if we don't pace ourselves we will give until we have nothing left. 

We reach our full potential when we catch the vision. This life is a time to become. Heavenly Father doesn't expect the impossible-- He is happy when we do a little bit better and try a little harder every day. We can't set our expectations for ourselves higher than Gods. 

Doctrine & Covenants 64:33 
"Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great."

How do we know what the Lord expects of us? Sister Linda S Reeves in the April 2014 General Conference gives this advice:

“A friend recently cautioned, “When you ask the sisters to read the scriptures and pray more, it stresses them out. They already feel like they have too much to do.”
Brothers and sisters, because I know from my own experiences, and those of my husband, I must testify of the blessings of daily scripture study and prayer and weekly family home evening. These are the very practices that help take away stress, give direction to our lives, and add protection to our homes.”

Put the important things first and the goals we set will be the ones Heavenly Father wants us to accomplish. With His support, we cannot fail! It's all about taking one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment